Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Wanton Noodles

Photos by: JS and CY


Hello! It has been a long while since I last blogged on this site. Almost a month!I have been crazily busy with the finals and left straightaway for my amazing winter break at Hawai'i (more on that in a later post)for 2 weeks and then it was back to Ann Arbor with floods of application, emails and admin stuff to clear. But I guess I have neglected this blog long enough to the point that even the fooble chatbox went through self-destruction and had to be resurrected!

Anyways, in the midst of all the excitement for the Hawai'i holiday planning, I decided to have a wanton mee party at our place about a month ago. It was indeed a phenomenal task cooking for 12 people.

Note to self: never ever attempt it again unless you own an industrial size kitchen.



I wouldn't say that the wanton noodles cooked that day was great because I got so disoriented after a while and started overcooking the veg and wantons. My friends were a big fan of the charsiew however, which was just pork marinated in plain old simple Lee Kum Kee charsiew sauce.Yeah I know...I wish I could make the marinate from scratch but I couldn't get hold of a reliable recipe then and decided to try out the bottle of Lee Kum Kee stored on the shelf.I think it belongs to my housemates but I stole it anyways.Yikes. By the way, I bought a cooking book called "Food of Paradise" from the international airport at Honoululu which proved to be a delightable read on the plane (don't even get me starting on the 2 hours of turbulence) and guess what, it teaches you how to make Charsiew Sauce from scratch! =)

I personally liked the wantons best because it is a special concoction of minced pork and prawns, a recipe inspired by my mum. But Mr Lee Kum Kee sure did steal the spotlight!



Wanton Mee

1 pound pork tenderloin
Lee Kum Kee Charsiew Sauce


Wanton skins
1 pound ground pork
1/2 pound raw peeled shrimps (chopped into fine bits)
chopped garlic

Xiao Bai Cai

Yellow hongkong noodles

For each serving:

1 tsp Fish sauce
1/2 tbsp Soy sauce
1/2 tbsp Sesame Oil
1/2 tbsp Chilli/Tomato Ketchup
1 tsp Fried garlic bits
1 tsp Black pepper



1. Marinate the pork tenderloin with 5 tbsp of charsiew sauce for 2 hours (or as long as you like!) and bake it at 350 F for 30 minutes
2. Mix the minced pork, prawns and garlic together. Marinate them with 6 tbsp of soy sauce, 5 tbsp of sesame oil, 5 chopped garlic cloves and 4 tbsp of fried shallots
3. Shape them into little balls and wrap them in the wanton skins

4. Throw the wantons into boiling water for 1.5 minutes, take them out and put them into cold water so that they won't stick
5. Boil the noodles for 3 minutes
6. Boil the Xiao Bai Cai for about a minute
7. While the noodles and veg are cooking, pour the mixture of fish suace, soy sauce, sesame oil, chilli/ketchup into a plate and mix it with the garlic bits and black pepper
8. Drain the noodles, dip them into cold water and thoroughly mix them with the sauce mixture on the place

9. Cut the pork into 1/4 inch slices
10.Drain the vegetables
11.Garnish the plate of noodles with the pork, veg and wantons (duh!)

to all friends who are currently in Singapore: i know you can get wanton noodles within a 100 m radius from where you are right now but you have no idea how precious authentic Asian food is to us over here!!

to all others reading this from around the globe: hope you find a good Asian supermarket near you!=) Good Luck!

No comments: