A short post here about one of my latest baking therapy project - Hazelnut Shortbread!
For sloths who find grinding raw hazelnuts (toast + process) a chore, ground hazelnut could easily be bought from Phoon Huat ($6+ for 250g). I had packet of it sitting in the drawer but I can't remember what I bought it for though...
100g ground hazlenuts
150g butter (cubed and slightly softened)
80g soft brown sugar
185g sifted plain flour
100g dark chocolate, chopped
15g vegetable shortening
1. Preheat oven to moderate 180 dC. Bake the hazelnut powder for about 5 min (you might want to prepare this prior) and let it cool.
2. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper (or lightly grease them with butter)
3. Beat butter and sugar until light and creamy. Add hazelnuts and beat briefly.
4. Add sifted flour and mix to a soft dough.
5. Roll 2 level tsp of the mixture into balls and place well apart on the trays.
6. Using a fork, flatten the balls to 4cm in diameter.
7. Bake for 20 min or until lightly golden. Cool on wire rack.
8. Melt chocolate and shortening in a small bowl over a pan of simmering water. Stir until smooth.
9. Coat half of the top side (the ridged side)with the choc mixture.
10. Lay on foil-lined tray and stick it in the fridge.