Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Fried Seafood Mee Goreng

Adapted from: Singapore Hawker Food (新加坡 风味小吃)by Jimmy Chua

hello everyone! back here once again for my random food rambles. Life has been crazy busy and fulfilling for the past few months and I discovered so many cool places to eat that I have a serious backlog of postings to do here. So do keep a look out for it.

I won't be trying out much recipes though since I moved out (temporarily) and the kitchen at my place now is kinda well..sad. No oven, crappy stove top and most of the baking and cooking utensils/equipment were kept away! Anyways, here would be one of my last posts (for a lonnngg while) of my personal food creation. Its one of the simpler recipes around and I must say it tastes like the real thing (well,almost. I went easy on the oil.)

The reason how this random mee goreng cook-out came about was due to W occasional complaints that I have never ever cooked a real meal for him ( and that instant food at random European hostels do not count). Since Mee Goreng is one of his favourite dish (he digs the one at Long Beach Kallang) and the recipe was readily available in the Jimmy Chua book, I decided to troop over to the Tua Kong market one weekend to grab some fresh yellow noodles (they were sooo OILY i had to blanch it in water for a few minutes to 驱油). Mum's home-made killer sambal chilli paste also helped pave the way..

My parents were away for that weekend so I had the entire kitchen (the one in my previous dwelling that is.)to myself ..woooweeet! Had a field time slicing the prawns, preparing the sauce and being rough with the pans and spatula - no one breathing down my neck this time round.


Ok, I am beginning to sound very aunty so I am gonna stop here and leave you with the recipe. I swear the end product tastes pretty much like the one in your neighbourhood hawker centre. Its pretty easy and fool-proof. Try it! W gave 2 thumbs up for it. Right? (he had better....=P)

Fried Seafood Mee Goreng 中式 印度炒面
Serves 4
Ingredients:
2 eggs (beaten)
1 tbsp chopped garlic
3 tbsps Sambal Chilli paste
1 onion (shredded)
500 g Hokkien Mee (though i personally feel that 500g isn't enough for 4 adults!)
100 g bean sprouts
cai xin
200 g prawns (shelled and blanched)
200 g sotong (sliced and blanced) - i used sliced pork and crab sticks instead as i wasn't a big fan of sotongs
2 sliced tomatoes
2 shredded red chillies
3 limes

Seasoning:
3 tbsp water
4 tbsp tomato ketchup
1 tbsp dark soy sauce
1 tbsp sesame oil
2 tsps sugar
pinch of pepper

Method:
1. Fry chopped garlic in 3 tbsps of oil till fragrant.
2. Add sambal chilli paste and beaten eggs. Stir well.
3. Add onion, Hokkien mee, cai xin and bean sprouts. Stir well.
4. Stir in prawns, sotong and seasoning. Stir fry till fragrant.
5. Add tomatoes and red chillies. Stir well.
6. Squeeze some lime juice on top and serve




1 comment:

Rice Palette said...

Looks really delicious! I'm definitely going to bookmark this to try later on :)

Your wok looks so clean!