Sunday, April 8, 2012

Insalata Caprese

Chef: Sha
Recipe: N/A

I don't like food that's too carefully arranged; it makes me think that the chef is spending too much time arranging and not enough time cooking. If I wanted a picture I'd buy a painting. - Andy Rooney



Ok, so this is going to be a really short post on one of the dishes we did for the "Mexican theme" cook-in session. Clearly, we didn't stick to the theme well enough since this dish hails from a country on the other side of the ocean. Hmm..

Anyways, the quote by Andy Rooney made me laugh when I chanced upon it as I remembered how Sha was nimbly arranging the components of the salad together, gingerly alternating slices of basil,tomatoes and Mozzarella cheese on the Pyrex dish I provided her with.

"Hey...I am doing this because you wanna take pictures right??"

Yes, Sha. And thanks :)

Well, since there isn't much cooking involved here, the dish did taste as good as it looks. (haha)
I am not going to give a standard recipe here as there are scores of them on the web. The basic ingredients of the classic Capri Salad are: whole basil leaves, Buffalo Mozzarella cheese, sliced tomatoes, extra virgin olive oil, ground black pepper/salt. Proportions of each are totally up to you. Optional ingredients: black olives, balsamic vinegar, avocado.

Some interesting trivia:
1. Insalata Caprese hails from the Italian region of Campania
2. Usually served as an antipasto (oh gosh, memories of summer 2008) and not a contorno (side dish)
3. Sometimes called Insalata Tricolore. Tricolore referring to the 3 colours of the Italian flag. (Ahh..betcha didn't know that)

No comments: